Monday, January 4, 2010

Another homemade baby wipe recipe

I jumped on Kelly F's baby wipe making bandwagon and decided to make some of my own. I found an awesome blog HERE that has a different folding style that helped me make wipes just like the store-bought kind! It takes a little more work in the beginning to get started, but you'll have wonderful "pull-out" wipes! I didn't want to give up using my wipe warmer and now with this method, I won't have to!

I used an empty plastic Huggies wipe container.
*I cut the roll of paper towels in half first before I ripped the towels into individual sheets. This makes the wipes fit width-wise into the wipe container.
**I did alter the water, oil, and baby soap since I used more towels than Trina did. I used 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, and 1 1/2 tbsp baby soap.

They came out great, smell divine, and are working well. For my first try, I am impressed. I don't think I will every buy wipes again. To think, I could've saved so much money if I would've known how to do this 2 years ago!

Here's the best part: I already had a 30 oz bottle of baby wash that I got as a baby shower gift 2 years ago, so that part of the equation is FREE!
I have two 25.5 oz. bottles of olive oil that I got on a BOGO sale at Publix 4 months ago with coupons for $4.99 (total for both). That's 102 tablespoons of olive oil which comes to $0.05 a tbsp!
I got an 8 pack of Kleenex Viva paper towels on sale at Publix for $6.99. That's $0.87 a roll. There are 50 sheets per roll. I can make 100 baby wipes per roll (rolls cut in 1/2). That's 800 baby wipes waiting to be made!

So, I take 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil ($0.07 approx), 1 tbsp FREE baby wash, and 50 paper towels ($0.87) and make 100 wipes.

GRAND TOTAL PER WIPE: $0.0094 per wipe!!
It would cost $0.68 to buy a 72 count box of "My wipes" in the store whereas a 72 count box of the name brands sells for $2.59+.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment